Europe Bucket List – All Countries
May 15, 2020
This Europe bucket list will show you that Europe offers much more than world-famous locations like France and Spain. I know it’s a long post, but I promise you will look at Europe with different eyes after reading this post.
Like a lot of people do, last year in December I’ve made a New Year’s resolution. I’ve made a decision to travel as much as possible. Not just this year but in general.
As a kid, I’ve dreamed about some exotic locations, I’ve dreamed about traveling around the world. But until the last few years, I really didn’t have a chance to explore the world. Most of my travel destinations were in Croatia. Don’t get me wrong, Croatia is a wonderful country. But it’s not quite how I imagined to “explore” the world.
I decided to start by exploring Europe. I’ve booked several trips for the first half of this year. Nothing special, just a couple of already well-know tourist spots. I thought it is best to start with places like these and over time begin to explore some not so familiar places. So, I started planning my trips.
What to see, where to eat, what to avoid…
Oh, the beauty of travel planning. Isn’t that just amazing?
That excitement you feel as you explore all the sights you have to visit when traveling somewhere. The best feeling ever!
Here comes the twist
You know how they say, when someone makes plans, God laughs. Well, I bet he had a really good laugh (I know that COVID-19 caused much bigger problems than this. But surely many of you will agree with me when I say that it sucks when you can’t travel).
Then I thought, I can’t travel right now, but at least I can write about it. So, I did my research, and I found some fantastic places in Europe. When I look at this list, I think I’ll need years to explore just some of these destinations. But never mind, now I have a goal!
Some places I’ve already visited, but I would definitely love to revisit them.
The answer is pretty much simple because Europe has everything you need. If you are looking for a romance, luxury, ancient history and not so ancient history, budget trips, active vacation, or something else, I’m 100% sure you will find it in Europe.
Another advantage is that it is relatively easy to travel around Europe. Car, bus, train, plane, or even a boat. Just pick your favorite and start your journey!
Europe Bucket List
I’ve never been to Albania, but if you google Albanian Riviera, you will be surprised. Believe me! Sandy or pebble beaches with crystal clear water, I definitely didn’t expect that. In addition to that, there are a couple of UNESCO world heritage old towns. And if you are a nature lover, you will not be disappointed either.
- Visit the Gijrokaster Old Town
- Relax on Albanian Riviera
- Visit Berat, the City of a Thousand Windows
- Dive into The Blue Eye
Andorra is a tiny country located in the Pyrenees mountains. It’s well known for its ski resorts and duty-free shopping. For such a small country, Andorra has a lot of museums, some of them truly intrigue your imagination. There are plenty of hiking options too.
5. Go skiing or snowboarding
6. Relax in Europe’s largest mountain spa, Caldea
7. Go shopping – best places: Centro Comercial Pyrenees and the streets of Andorra la Vella
8. Visit some of Andorra’s unusual museums
9. Hike to the amazing viewpoint Roc del Quer
3,500-year-old history? Rich culture? Spectacular scenery? Yeah, I was surprised too.
10. Explore the ‘pink city’ of Armenia and climb to the top of the cascade
11. Visit Pagan Temple – the only one left in Armenia
12. Ride on the longest reversible cableway in the world – Wings of Tatev
13. Visit the Geghard monastery
Lovely Austria has some fantastic places that are perfect for a visit in both summer and winter. With its rich history, picturesque villages, magnificent Alps and amazing cities, there is no way you will not like Austria. Such an amazing country!
14. Attend a show at Vienna State Opera
15. Explore Baroque Buildings in Vienna
16. Be amazed by the charming atmosphere of Salzburg
17. Visit one of the most unique places in Austria – Hallstatt
18. Fall in love while walking through the heart-shaped road
19. Do some winter sports in the Alps
Vacation in Azerbaijan? So far, the only thing I knew about Azerbaijan is that it participates in the Eurovision Song Contest. But after doing research about this place, I must say I’m pleasantly surprised. And if you are a hiking lover, you will be too.
20. Visit beautiful Baku
21. Explore mud volcanoes
22. Go hiking between Guba’s villages
Probably if you have to choose which country in Europe you will visit, Belarus won’t rank high. But I have found some interesting locations in Belarus. So, if I ever get a chance to visit this country, I would definitely do it.
23. Take a relaxing walk at one of the largest public squares in Europe – Minsk
24. Visit “Belarusian Maldives” – Volkovysk Chalkpits
25. Explore Brest Fortress
26. Learn about Black Lady of Nesvizh
If you are a beer lover, Belgium is the right choice for you. But beer isn’t the only thing that this country has to offer. There are chocolate, waffles, and fries too 😀 Just kidding (but they are delicious). From medieval towns, historical sites to incredible nature, Belgium does have a lot to offer.
Fun fact: If you didn’t know, the origins of fries could be traced back to Belgium. They are pretty serious about that, so don’t order a “French fries.” Learn from my mistakes!
27. Go on a romantic getaway in ‘Venice of the North’ – Bruges (If you want to get a better picture of Bruges, I recommend seeing the movie In Bruges)
28. If you are a beer lover, visit Delerium Café in Brussels where you can taste more than 2000 beers from around the world
29. Visit the Grand Palace in Brussels
30. Be impressed with the perfect combination of history and present-day modern life in Antwerp
31. Explore the Caves of Han and the Grotto of Dinant
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It is probably one of the most underrated countries in Europe. It has some of the most breathtaking natural sights, but people just don’t know about it. So, if you have time, it is definitely worth to visit this place.
32. Cross over the Mostar Bridge
33. Explore Baščaršija – it may be the best place in Bosnia and Herzegovina to get to know the locals
34. Visit some of the breathtaking natural sights such as Kravice Waterfall or Una National Park
I’ve heard about Bulgarian beaches, but to be honest, I didn’t think that there are so many traces of ancient history too.
35. Explore the Black Sea Beaches
36. Visit the Pearl of the Black sea, the historic town of Nessebar
37. Explore Plovdiv Old Town
38. Climb to the top of Belogradchik Rocks
First, I must say, when it comes to Croatia, I can not be objective. In the end, it is my homeland, a country where I was born and grew up. I bet you think that about your land too. So, this list can go on, and on, and on. But I will try to keep it short.
39. Explore Plitvice National Park
40. Swim around the waterfalls at Krka National Park
41. Walk along the Walls of Dubrovnik
42. Visit best Christmas market in Europe – Zagreb
43. Go back in time while exploring Diocletian’s Palace in Split
44. Visit some true gems of Croatian archipelago – Brač, Hvar, Korčula, and many more…
45. Explore Istria
It is better to stop now while I have so much to put on this list. And I didn’t even mention amazing Croatian beaches. Well, it appears that Croatia needs one list just for itself.
A tiny island with a great history. Whether you are looking to spend your vacation lying on the beach or you are seeking more adventure vacation, Cyprus is the right location.
46. Hike on the Akamas Peninsula
47. Explore Kourion
48. Get younger while swimming around the Aphrodite’s Rock
49. Visit Lara Beach and Blue Lagoon
Czech Republic is home to 12 UNESCO World Heritage sites. With its authentical culture, picturesque historic cities, and a lot of scenic spots, it is a place where history comes to life.
50. Cross the Charles Bridge
51. Explore Bohemian Switzerland
52. Visit Karlovy Vary
53. Feel like in a fairytale in Česky Krumlov
Fairytales lovers, Shakespeare lovers, or even Vikings lover, Denmark is calling!
54. Visit Tivoli Gardens
55. Take a photo with the Little Mermaid
56. Learn about café culture in Nyhavn
57. Visit the birthplace of Hans Christian Andersen, Odense
58. Explore the Kronborg, the setting for Shakespeare’s Hamlet
While researching Estonia, I have come across a lot of articles that say Estonia is an underrated gem of Europe, or Estonia is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. And indeed, it is!
59. Do a tour of Tallinn’s Old Town
60. Walk along Narva River Promenade
61. Go scuba diving at the Underwater Prison
62. Bound your love at the Pärnu Seawall
When I think about Finland, the first thing that comes to my mind is Santa Claus. I am a huge fan of Christmas, and as far as I’m concerned, there is no such thing as too much Christmas decoration. I think it is obvious what is the first thing on my bucket list for Finland.
63. Meet Santa Claus
64. Ride a reindeer sleigh
65. Take a tour of Turku Archipelago
66. See the Northern Lights while staying in a glass igloo
67. Visit the Snow Castle
I bet everybody has heard about the Eiffel Tower and amazing France. So, I think that France needs no introduction.
Believe it or not, Georgia is an amazing land. I didn’t believe at first, but after reading about Georgia, I am confident that Georgia will soon be on my travel list.
75. Explore Tbilisi Old Town
76. Take a flight to Mestia and go hiking
77. Tour the Caves of Gareji
78. Explore spectacular cave monastery Vardzia
If you are about to plan your holiday in Europe, Germany is a country that can’t be ignored. With its perfect blend of medieval old towns and modern infrastructure Germany has a lot to offer.
79. Drink beer at Oktoberfest
80. Feel like a fairy tale princess in Neuschwanstein Castle
81. Take a trip along the Rhine River
82. Make a road trip along the Romantic Road
83. Explore the mysterious Black Forest
84. Visit Lake Constance
Natural beauty, ancient history, fascinating culture, what more do you need? Amazing beaches? Tons of it here! As in other Mediterranean countries, time seems to flow more slowly here.
85. Pray the Greek gods in Acropolis, Athens
86. Visit Santorini
87. Swim in turquoise water at Shipwreck Beach
88. Visit Meteora
89. Climb the Mount Olympus
Most people know Hungary because of the beautiful Budapest. But Hungary is much more than Budapest.
90. Take a boat cruise down the Danube River
91. Visit ‘Hungarian Sea’ – Lake Balaton
92. Explore Szentendre
93. Have a Cave Bath in Miskolctapolca
94. Enjoy in Panoramic Views of Budapest from Buda Castle
Land of northern lights, glaciers, majestic landscape, volcanoes, lagoons, and many more beautiful things. Such a small island, and so many things to do.
95. Soak in the Blue Lagoon
96. Explore the Westfjords
97. Do the Golden Circle Route
98. Watch the Northern Lights
99. Visit Reykjavik
100. Walk behind a waterfall at Seljalandsfoss
There is something special about Ireland. I don’t know if it is Irish culture, fascinating history, or incredible landscape. But one thing is sure, Ireland is a must-see location.
101. Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in Ireland
102. Be blown away by the stunning natural beauty of Cliffs of Moher
103. Visit Giant’s Causeway
104. Drive along the Ring of Kerry
105. Sample Ireland’s finest brew at Guinness Storehouse
106. Walk along Grafton Street in Dublin
Italy is a country of endless opportunities for a fantastic holiday. From world-famous architecture to hiking in the mountain region of the Dolomites, to relaxing on a beach, there is something for everybody here.
107. Moonlight ride in a Venetian gondola
108. Trow a coin in the Trevi fountain
109. Lean on the Leaning Tower in Pisa
110. Step back in time at the Colosseum in Rome
111. Admire Milan Cathedral
112. Explore ruins of the ancient city of Pompeii
Latvia bursts with history, art, culture, and entertainment. Discover medieval towns and ancient castles, explore wonderful nature or relax on miles of beaches in this Baltic gem.
113. Wander through Slitere National Park
114. Spend a night in Karosta Prison
115. Visit ’Latvian Venice’ – Kuldiga
116. Explore Riga
Not a lot of people know where Liechtenstein is, and even fewer visited it. This little country between Austria and Switzerland is covered in Alpine forests and meadows. Although small, Liechtenstein offers plenty of amazing sights.
117. Hike the Eschnerberg Trail
118. Visit Vaduz castle where the royal family lives
119. Explore Gutenberg Castle
120. Hike along the Princes’ Way
121. Visit iconic Red House in Vaduz
Lithuania is a land of many forests, sand dunes (the highest moving sand dunes in Europe), charming cities, and super-fast internet. I read that you could be in the middle of nowhere, and still have a great reception.
122. Explore Vilnius Old Town
123. Sand Dunes in Nagliu Nature Reserve
124. Visit Trakai Island Castle
125. Explore Hill of Crosses
Another tiny country in Europe, but absolutely worth visiting. You will not regret it.
Fun fact: Luxembourg is home to more than 130 castles. Pretty amazing for such a small country, don’t you think?
126. Visit the Grund in Luxembourg City
127. Follow the Chemin de la Corniche for a super scenic view
128. Explore Vianden Castle
129. Hike the Mullerthal Trai
Macedonia, as we know it today, has been shaped by the combination of Persian, Greek, Roman, Ottoman, Serbian and Soviet culture. I’ve found out that Macedonia has some hidden gems that should, without a doubt, be explored.
130. Visit Skopje
131. Take the Mount Voddno cable car in Skopje
132. Rent a boat and explore Matka Lake
133. Discover beautiful Ohrid Town and Lake
134. Hike to the top of Mount Ljuboten
Malta is an archipelago in the Mediterranean Sea. It is a treasure chest packed with 7000 years old history, turquoise sea, exciting cities, and as usual in the Mediterranean, a laid-back vibe.
135. Go swimming in Comino’s Blue Lagoon
136. Visit Upper Barrakka Garden in Valletta
137. Explore Popeye Village
138. Go scuba diving in Blue Hole, Gozo
139.Visit the Blue Grotto
I don’t know much about Moldova, but it seems to be an interesting country. It is home to Europe’s most unlikely tourist attraction, the Gypsy Hill. Many buildings here are inspired by famous landmarks such as Bolshoi Theater, St. Peter’s Basilica, and U.S. Capitol Building.
140. Gypsy Hill
141. Visit Chisinau
142. Visit world’s 2nd largest underground winery, Cricova Winery
143. Explore Tipova Monastery
One of the smallest countries in the world, Monaco, is well known for its casinos and luxury life. So, if you are looking for some glamorous high life experience, this is a place for you.
But don’t worry! There are a lot of attractions here for those who are traveling on a budget as well.
144. Explore the Prince’s Palace
145. Lose some money in the Casino de Monte Carlo
146. Stroll through Jardin Exotica
Do you know where Montenegro is? It’s ok if not, I think most people probably don’t know where it is. But this small country offers a lot, from dramatic mountains to charming coastal towns and lately a lot of party locations.
147. Explore Boka Bay
148. Party in Budva
149. Visit the old city walls in Kotor
150. Explore Tara River Canyon
Land of gorgeous tulip fields, spectacular windmills, and wonderful canals. I think it is obvious what is a must-see in the Netherlands.
151. Ride in a water taxi in Amsterdam
152. Check out the Windmills
153. Go crazy for tulips
154. Explore Hague
155. Learn about Anne Frank
Oh, that dreamy Norwegian landscape… Who wouldn’t want to see that?
156. Cruise the fjords in Norway
157. Make some great photos on Trolltunga
158. Stand on Kjeragbolten
159. Visit Tromsø and go in search of the Northern Lights
Want to make a city break trip? There are Warsaw, Krakow, and Gdansk. Want to explore the beautiful nature? There are the Tatra Mountains, lovely lakes, national parks and a lot of forests.
160. Visit Warsaw
161. Pay respect at Auschwitz
162. Go 327 meters below the surface of the Earth in Wieliczka Salt Mine
163. Paddle the Krutynia River
164. Go hiking in Tatra mountains
It looks like I will say for every country in Europe how beautiful it is and that it is definitely worth a visit. Well, it won’t stop here for sure. Just take a look at Portugal’s beaches or picturesque towns, and you will think that too.
165. Take a walk along the Pink Street, Rua Nova do Carvalho
166. Explore the ancient forest, Buçaco Forest
167. Climb Bom Jesus do Monte
168. Visit Porto
169. Hit the beach, Praia da Adraga
Did you know that Romania is a home of famous Dracula’s Castle? Wouldn’t it be great to do some spooky tour of this place? Just by looking at the pictures of it, I get goosebumps.
170. Explore Bran Castle (Dracula’s Castle)
171. Visit Peleș Castle
172. Discover the underground world in Scarisoara Ice Cave
173. Spend the night in the Bâlea Ice Hotel
I don’t know when I first heard about the Trans-Siberian Railway. Still, I have a feeling that my dream, ever since I was a little kid, is to travel on the Trans Siberian Railway. What an amazing way to explore the country.
174. Travel on the Trans-Siberian Railway
175. Marvel at the Moscow’s Red Square
176. Dive into the oldest and deepest lake in the world – Baikal Lake
177. Visit St. Petersburg
178. See a masterpiece of architecture – Peterhof Palace
One of the world’s oldest republics and one of the smallest countries, San Marino, is overshadowed by Italy. As a matter of fact, people often think that San Marino is in Italy. Even though it’s entirely surrounded by Italy, San Marino is independent.
179. Climb the Towers of San Marino
180. Walk along the Witches Path
181. Explore Torture Museum
Serbia is home to a vibrant mix of different landscapes and sights. From fascinating history and unique natural wonders to well-known party locations, such as Belgrade and Novi Sad (Exit festival).
182. Take a walk along Knez Mihailove street to Kalemegdan
183. Visit Novi Sad (European Capital of Culture for 2021)
184. Explore the Devil’s Town
185. Spend the night in a cabin in Tara National park
Not sure if Slovakia has something interesting to offer? Well, think again. Over the years, Slovakia is becoming a popular tourist destination, and there is a good reason for that.
186. Feel like you are in a fairytale at Bojnice Castle
187. Discover nature at Slovak Paradise National Park
188. Climb to the largest fortified castle in Central Europe – Spis Castle
189. Explore the streets of Bratislava
Slovenia is a dream come true for nature lovers. Fairytale lakes, river rapids, and mighty mountains, what do you need more?
Can anyone find the reason why not to visit this fantastic country? I think not, and statistic agrees with me! Spain is the second most visited country in the world (France is the first).
194. Visit La Sagrada Familia
195. See a Flamenco Show
196. Admire the Alhambra in Granada
197. Conquer the Caminito del Ray in Malaga
198. Explore Ronda
199. Climb the highest peak in Spain, Mount Teide
I have visited Sweden twice. Unfortunately, I couldn’t explore it, while those were more job-related journeys, and there wasn’t enough time. But I will revisit it, I’m sure!
200. Explore Stockholm’s Archipelago
201. Stay in Icehotel
202. See the Northern Lights
203. Do Dog Sledding in the Lapland
Wow! I didn’t know that Switzerland is such a fascinating country. It was tough to decide what to put on this list.
204. Take a cable car (or hike) to the Matterhorn
205. Take a train journey to Jungfraujoch – the top of Europe
206. Explore Château de Chillon
207. Check out Rhine Falls
208. Visit Zurich
A place where East meets West, where 4000 years of history meet modern lifestyle.
209. Visit Hagia Sophia
210. Take a hot air balloon ride over Cappadocia
211. Take a dip in Pamukkale Thermal pools
212. Sleep in a cave in Göreme
213. Explore Istanbul
One of the biggest countries in Europe, yet Ukraine struggles to attract visitors. Maybe that isn’t so bad (well, for Ukraine probably is, but let’s be selfish for a moment). You can explore it without a horde of tourists around you. The best way, isn’t it?
214. Visit Chernobyl
215. Explore Pechersk Lavra in Kiev
216. Take a step back in time in Lviv
217. Relax on sunny beaches at the ‘Pearl of the Black Sea’ – Odessa
Consisting of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, no wonder the U.K. offers such a huge diversity of culture, landscape, and history.
218. Take a ride on the London Eye
219. Explore Edinburgh Castle
220. Visit Stonehenge on the summer solstice
221. Visit the King’s Cross station and take a train to Hogwarts
222. Explore York
With a size of 0.44 square kilometers, Vatican City is the smallest independent state in the world. But don’t let that fool you, the Vatican is home to the Pope, it is a center of the Roman Catholic Church and a throne of fascinating art and architecture. So, you should definitely visit this place even if you are not religious.
223. Admire the beautiful Sistine Chapel
224. Take a look at Papal Apartments (or even see the Pope) from St. Peter’s Square
225. Marvel at St. Peter’s Basilica
Like I’ve said at the beginning, it will probably take years to explore all of these. And I really did try to make it short. At least I hope I’ve added a few new destinations to your Europe bucket list.
Which European countries have you visited? Do you have any advice for me?